In this episode of The Bible for Normal People Podcast, actor, comedian, and enlightened guru Pete Holmes joins Pete & Jared to talk about his interesting journey of faith and the importance of moving from reading the Bible with your head to reading it with your heart.
- Is the point of religion really to just be a good person?
- Why is “myth” is a good thing?
- Pete Holmes asks: Why didn’t Adam and Eve have sex until after they left the garden?
- What is Christianity really about?
- How do we know we are good?
- Why is it important to reconstruct after deconstruction?
- Why is an atheist God’s greatest creation?
- What is the purpose of paradox?
- Why are patience and humility essential in a life of faith?
- What are myths trying to tell us?
- How much access to reality do we really have?
- Does ultimate reality conform to the way we’ve constructed our world?
- Why do we need to stop thinking so much?
- Where should we look to know God?
- Why do we need to stop objectifying God?
- How do we disassociate with our false self?
Pithy, shareable, less-than-280-character statements from Pete Holmes that you can share.
- “We’ve gotten lost in worshiping other people’s experiences.” @peteholmes
- “The way at an unknowable infinite reality is not going to be a direct line.” @peteholmes
- “Don’t worship my transformation, get to transforming yourself.” @peteholmes
- “God is seducing you by any means necessary to transform and convert your heart into your true self.” @peteholmes
- “This isn’t a holding room, this isn’t a test, this is the play of the Divine.” @peteholmes
- “We’ve created God into a thing over there so that we can think about it by virtue of how language works. But ultimate reality doesn’t conform to the way that we’ve constructed our world.” @peteholmes
- “Religion does not summarize to be a good person.” @peteholmes
Mentioned in this episode:
- Class: Genesis for Normal People (Pay What You Can!)
- Book: “Comedy, Sex, God” by Pete Holmes
- Book: “This: Becoming Free” by Michael Gungor
- Book: “Into the Silent Land: A Guide to the Christian Practice of Contemplation” by Martin Laird
- Book: “What Is The Bible?” by Rob Bell
- Book: “True Self, False Self” by Richard Rohr
- Media: Pete Holmes: Dirty Clean (HBO Special)
- Media: Pete Holmes: Crashing (HBO Series)
- Book: “How the Bible Actually Works” by Pete Enns
- Support: The Bible for Normal People Patreon